So Indy 4 will be made soon, at long last.
I wonder what the MacGuffin will be this time.
One article I found states that Lucas’ idea for the MacGuffin was ‘originally deemed too incendiary’. Hmm. It has to be old, with something to do with a major religion, somewhat supernatural, previously undiscovered or buried, power-bestowing, and everybody has to want it. Here are a few guesses as to what it is NOT:
- The Fountain of Youth (too obvious, and Jones has already quaffed from the Grail)
(the subject of an early and very bad fan screenplay) Ark
- The Garden of Eden (apparently an ongoing rumor, but rather dull-sounding)
- Holy Lance / Spear of Destiny (probably not, given the Grail has been done and there’s a comic book concerning this)
- The lost city of
(the subject of a Indy PC game, so definitely out) Atlantis
- Something Arthurian – Excalibur, Avalon, etc (probably not, given the medieval themes of the last movie)
- Something Mayan – crystal skulls?
Sargasso Sea/ Bermuda Triangle, where Indy could find literally anything – I think it’s been done, though.
- Something Chinese, possibly involving Nurhaci (the Chinese emperor’s urn that Jones trades for the diamond in ToD)
- Something Islamic. We’ve had the
(Judaism), the Sankara Stones (pseudo-Hinduism), and the Holy Grail (Christianity). Islam might be up this time, though I can’t think of any good possibilities offhand (Sword of Ali? The Nazis snatch the black stone of Ark ?). Mecca
- Something non-religious, perhaps, like the Philosopher’s Stone (alas, Harry Potter already found that).
The MacGuffin needs what H calls ‘zappy-eye’ quality. It should either give the owner great powers, or kill them violently and messily. In Indy’s universe, the MacGuffin always has the ultimate power of moral judgment, functioning as a deus ex machina that kills the bad guy and lets Indy off the hook as he is a good-hearted adventurer who is not there for power. The long delay in a script suggests difficulty in finding a good MacGuffin; let’s hope they decided on something that is at least good as the